Sunday, October 3, 2010

DO YOU LOVE ME MORE THAN THESE?


It was long time back.I don't remember the date still I feel,it was 4 or 5 years earlier.My father who is a pastor was preaching in a house nearby.The people of that house were Christians but did not believed in JESUS.My dad was giving the sermon from john 21.
From my childhood I've studied the four book of gospels and specially the book of John.But this chapter had no special effects in my life,till that evening.

It happened when this time I read this chapter and felt it speaking to me.I want to tell you in my words what I felt,and what changed me.


We read in this chapter after Crucifixion,Christ was raised to life,and after that he was seen by many of his disciples.After these instances is what happens in this chapter.Simon Peter along with few fellow disciples went for fishing and tried very hard the whole night,but caught nothing.

Early in the morning,JESUS went there,and told them to put the net in their right side.And so they caught many fish{its written 153 large fishes}.After that they came to the shore,sat with Jesus and ate bread and fish.

During this conversation,JESUS looked at SIMON PETER and asked,"Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"

I've wondered many a times why Peter? Why did JESUS asked him?We all remember that earlier peter had rejected JESUS 3 TIMES,may be that's why he was being asked.Or it may be that,the things which peter had left to follow JESUS,he took the very old things back.Whatever be the reason Peter knew why JESUS was asking him this question?

I want you all who are reading my blog,to visualize in the mind this very scene.When I was hearing this sermon I visualized it and saw,Jesus looking with calm eyes towards peter.Their beside them lay the net full of large fishes.The very fishes for which peter was not able to sleep the last night.The same fishes for which he once again tried very hard but still failed.The same net,which he had left in the boat,when JESUS said to him "Follow me".He saw everything,then he looked towards JESUS.Jesus who was still looking in his face with love in his eyes, asked-"DO YOU TRULY LOVE ME MORE THAN THESE?"

Silence....I wonder,what I could have answered,If JESUS would have asked me the same question.

If JESUS is asking the same question to you,what will be your answer?
There before you is JESUS,the one who created you in your mothers womb,who was with you all through your life,who gave you everything you've asked for,the loving parents you needed,your best friends,your studies,your job,your kids,he gave HIS life so that you can be free.He died so that you can live.

And on the other side of you is your dreams,your aims,your aspirations in life,the fame you want,the money you want to earn,the education you want to have,the love of your life,your kids whom you love so much,the house you want so badly....everything for which you have tried so hard.The things for which you have laboured in vain.the things for which you have lost your sleep and your mind's peace,everything which you've ever dreamt of having,is in front of you.

And still JESUS is asking-"My son, My daughter,DO YOU LOVE ME MORE THAN THESE?"

My dear friends,what will your answer be?It is up to you to decide.JESUS is still looking towards you,waiting patiently for an answer.I hope we all should be able to say-

YES,JESUS I TRULY LOVE YOU MORE THAN THESE!!

2 comments: